Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Best we forget


There are several times of the year when I am utterly embarrassed and ashamed to be Gay ... and right up there at the top of the list is Anzac Day.

I've actually never identified with "Gay" as a label. When people ask me if I am "Gay", I always tell them that I am not: I am Homosexual. They protest, like most ignorant people, about there not really being a difference. "There certainly is!" I usually sneer, before falling back on the old "There's nothing gay about being a homosexual" quote ... and besides, I prefer Poof to Gay ... and Faggot above all else.

After all, it's my misery ... and I'm entitled to identify with it and call it whatever I fucking well like.

Every year on Anzac Day, some blindly opportunistic promoter or two will seize the, well, opportunity, to promote a "Gay Dance Party" on, yes, you guessed it, a military theme. Like sex in public toilets, it is one event on the otherwise glittering and character-building "Gay" calendar that is bound to lose the "Gay Community" friends. And respect.

I, for one, always hang my head in shame.

As a pacifist and the child of a generation who lost too many throughout the years of conflict, I find the rituals surrounding the remembrance of our war dead a little complex to even pretend to understand. I've never been up in time to attend a Dawn Service. I don't buy the stick-pins, but I have been known to pin the odd poppy on my lapel. One of the many unfinished plays of mine is one about the Second World War. I spent many years researching, but when it came time to write the play, I realised that I needed to find a way to reach a greater understanding about what we lost in the process ... or perhaps what we gained. All that I had in its place was purple prose and borrowed observation.

War was always a 'male thing' when I was growing up. Men, men, men ... so many men. Brothers, Fathers, Sons ... and it wasn't until I met Greta, who had been a Driver for the Australian Defence Forces in Singapore that I was introduced to something other than my, previously, naively considered total sum of the catastrophe. Greta urged me to read about the stories that were told from the female perspective ... so I did. It fried my brain.

This year, there is a dance party somewhere in Sydney. I saw the full page ad in a "gay newspaper". Front, centre in the foreground is a muscled, shirtless stud in his camouflage pants - his jocks strategically peeking out over the top of his waste, sorry, waistband. Around his neck are the standard gay fantasia "Dog Tags". His smug, self-satisfied "Come fuck me/be fucked by me ... no, not you fatty" eyes, peering down at us. Behind him, in the distance, the whirring helicopters. And the sunset. The promise of a new day ... off. The drugs ... the pecs ... the muscles ... the abs ... the booze ... and the sex. Oh, yes! With him. Be my fuck-pig! Grunting, sleazy, stinking, sweaty, cum-soaked sex.

Call me old-fashioned, but I find it impossible to reconcile the great sense of loss and epic tragedy that are these wars and their dead we remember tomorrow, with this base, unacceptable and entirely disrespectful display of narcissistic, soul-less, cock-obsessed and ultimately meaningless pursuit.

I wonder if these people have any idea of what "Dog Tags" were/are used for, once the wearer of them had/has been killed. Now that's a dance party ticket seller of a snapshot if ever there was one! Or just how well a dance party might sell with an image I have firmly imbedded in my mind from a particular memoir I read: the soldiers who found a group of about six Australian nurses on a beach somewhere in Asia-Pacific who had been gunned down on the spot, and whose breasts had been severed and placed strategically on their heads, where their eyes had been.

I wonder.

8 comments:

Nicholas Pickard said...

A Mystic As Soldier

gI lived my days apart,
Dreaming fair songs for God;
By the glory in my heart
Covered and crowned and shod.

Now God is in the strife,
And I must seek Him there,
Where death outnumbers life,
And fury smites the air.

I walk the secret way
With anger in my brain.
O music through my clay,
When will you sound again?

Siegfried Sassoon

Anonymous said...

... that last image just fried mine ... >sigh <

Geoffrey said...

What a beautiful poem Nicholas. Thank you for taking the time to type it all in. I'm assuming that "O music through my clay, when will you sound again?" is not a thinly veiled suggestion that you are in favour of Anzac Eve dance parties?

Sorry JD. Them's the facts. I think about all those years of reading and research all the time around this time of year. And I hate the disrepect. I also wonder why we're not taught this stuff at school.

Thank you both for dropping by.

Nicholas Pickard said...

No... I don't approve/disapprove of it... The music refers to the sound of life I think.

But in some weird way, the corpses of the Somme might approve of the revelry. The sex image of the soldier maybe not...

I will be on George Street tomorrow, helping my 86 year old grandfather to do the march.

Then down to Collaroy to see the dusk ceremony of a few lifesavers laying a wreath in a boat a couple of hundred yards out from shore as they all stand on the sand to the sound of the last post...

It is a special day for me too.

Every Sailor said...

Fuckin' Japs!
Fuckin' poofs!

Geoffrey said...

Fuckin' Jap Poofs! But that's another story!

Anonymous said...

... the facts, yes. Ones I have tried my best to ignore my adult life - I've managed to never see a war film. As a teen I read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee ... the stories and images were enough to last a lifetime, and that was the last time I would endure such despair and sadness for the brutality of man (the term humankind doesn't rate here)... and still we send them off ...

JRo said...

Hi luv, have started to read your blog, you clever bunny. Come to 08 sooner and enjoy Cabaret!